Monday, April 07, 2008

Bob Dylan Wins Pulitzer?

Well, he's given a special citation.

And I'm a bit torn. Good in that I have always thought popular music has the potential to, in the right hands, become great capital "A" Art. Bad in that Bob Dylan mostly annoys me. The voice for one thing. For another, the fact that he hires the best musicians in the business to play for him and then has them strum three chords while he mumbles 27 verses of bad poetry. However,
Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping.
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's
too dead for dreaming.

...is a classic.

1 comment:

THOMAS GRASTY said...

I was totally taken aback by this announcement regarding Dylan and Pulitzer. But certainly well deserved.

I don't know if you were reporting on the news or are actually a fan, but if you are then I thought I'd introduce you to my new novel, BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, which I think you'd enjoy.

It's a murder-mystery. But not just any rock superstar is knocking on heaven's door. The murdered rock legend is none other than Bob Dorian, an enigmatic, obtuse, inscrutable, well, you get the picture...

Suspects? Tons of them. The only problem is they're all characters in Bob's songs.

You can get a copy on Amazon.com or go "behind the tracks" at www.bloodonthetracksnovel.com to learn more about the book.