Wednesday, July 09, 2008

CanWest Death Spiral Continues

Bourrie is away this week, so I am left to continue his gloating over the slow, agonizing demise of CanWest Media, owner of the National Post and other far-right rag. A month ago it was at $3.60 a share, last Friday $2.38, and at yesterday's close...$2.12. How much longer can this go on without the company being delisted?

And what is behind this inexorable decline?

We'll see if there's anyone outside the Southam building this morning selling pencils out of a cup. That's become a common sight these days.

6 comments:

Ti-Guy said...

Now, now...Jonathan Kay's mommy thinks he's brilliant. And if you don't agree, she'll tear your head off and shit down your neck.

Woman at Mile 0 said...

Would be good to see it replaced with a more balanced news organization. I could actually buy a local paper again.

Ti-Guy said...

Sadly, I think the era of print journalism is over. I say sadly, because the fractured media that's replacing it is worse.

Unknown said...

"Would be good to see it replaced with a more balanced news organization. I could actually buy a local paper again." - woman at mile 0

Please no. "Balance" would produce something as dishwater dull as the last generation Macleans magazine.

"Balance" is too often code speak for dull, conformist and non-offensive.

"Sadly, I think the era of print journalism is over." - ti-guy"

Really? I love the fact that there are two national newspapers in Canada and don't think we've ever had so much good writing to choose from.

Ti-Guy said...

I love the fact that there are two national newspapers in Canada and don't think we've ever had so much good writing to choose from.

Jesus, calm down or we'll have to hose you off.

I seriously doubt an illiterate such as you is in any position to judge.

Auntie Liberal said...

Nice use of the word 'retard' as a derogative. I thought only knuckle-dragging morons used that term any longer.

I guess I was right.